Friday, October 16, 2009

Teaching Moments - My Favourite Thing

This morning was a GREAT morning.  As we were getting ready for our family prayer, I had asked K to brush his teeth.  Well, this has been an ongoing struggle between the two of us.  I insist, he resists!  But as we sat down to pray Kent asked K to say the prayer.  K started and then realized that he had said prayer last night and got mad.

We told him gently, that yes, he was right, but because dad had asked him he needed to say the prayer.  This is how it went   (Picture an angry tone)

Dear Heavenly Father, (pause)
Thank you for this day (pause)
Please help my parents not to count anymore and not to restraint me anymore (pause)...

Then as he finished the prayer, he seemed to calm down and by the end had a normal tone of voice and finished the prayer appropriately.

I am so greatful for a Heavenly Father that gave me the calm demeanor and the words to teach my son.

I calmly told him that when we ask for things that are what we need Heavenly Father can answer our prayers, but when we ask for things that are not good for us, or are not what we need Heavenly Father cannot answer our prayers.

Then I told him that he was in complete control of whether or not mom and dad counted or restrained.  I put my one hand in a cupping motion on the table and said whenever K acts disrespectfully or violently, that mom and dad were required to "react" in a way that would keep him and us safe and then I set my other hand down on the table in cupping motion .  I told him that if he didn't act (and I lifted my one hand up) in the unsafe disrespectful way.... we wouldn't react by counting or putting him in a safety restraint and then I lifted my other hand up.

At first he was totally excited when I told him he was in complete control.... he said ... you mean like robots, I can control you!  Then after my explanation he goes, "Oh thats what you meant", like it was this annoying or disappointing thing.

The thing I liked the most was that he heard and understood.  Of course the next time he's angry..... he won't remember this conversation, but its a start!

No comments: