At school yesterday, as I crossed the play yard to go to lunch, my sweet boy was running across the blacktop, he seemed very angry and was trying to get a teacher's attention about a problem. The teachers didn't appear to be listening, and just then they called his class to line up. He looked up and was going to run and line up when I stopped him and very calmly told him that he first needed to tell the teacher the problem and then go and line up.
It turns out, that one of the first graders had been trying to pull down one of our older autistic child's pants and give her a wedgie.
Well, the day progressed and after we had gotten home, I asked K what had happened. What had the other boy been doing. I love how the Lord puts these thoughts and words into your mouth to help you teach. I explained to him, that I was proud of him and that Heavenly Father was proud of him too. I told him, the reason we are here is to help look after each other, and that it is our job to help look out for people who can't look out for themselves. I told him that he could put two good choices marks up on his board.
As he was about to hop up and do that, he said "Wait, I have to do something first". He folds his arms and says the following prayer:
"Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for this day. Your welcome. Amen"
I am so grateful that I was really able to get across to him about how important it is for us to be kind to less able children, and that I was able to really touch his heart.
It doesn't get much better than that does it!
No comments:
Post a Comment