Tuesday, September 22, 2009

You get what you get!

K has been home sick now for almost a week.... he's a little bored to say the least and he's tired of trying to cough up a lung.  However, that doesn't mean he gets to talk back to mom!  As I sent him to his chair, with an apology in order, I got "Sooorrrry" (insert imagined disdain & disgusted intonation).  With a quick word reminding him that is not the right way to say sorry.  I did get a new and much improved "Sorry" (insert imagined softened tone here).

As he turned to humbly (sarcasm) follow my loving direction I heard under his breath.... "but next time, you get what you get!"

Hardly able to control my quick smile and laughter, I resorted to the two word direction in a stern voice "Chair, Now!" because I swear if he hadn't left the room right then he would have totally seen me double over.

Hmmm now the question of the day would appear to be:  "I wonder where on earth he has heard that expression before?"  Could it be his kindergarten/first grade teacher who would say "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit".  Or his fourth grade teacher who also says "You get what you get" or perhaps maybe I may have on occassion used that term when serving dinner and was asked repeatedly "do I have to really eat that?"

The moral you ask?  You just never know when your words are going to be thrown back in your face.

No comments: