Thursday, June 14, 2012

My weight loss journey

This February, 2012 I decided that I would start to walk.  I had reached my heaviest weight and I was damned if I was going to get any bigger.  So every day at 10:15 I would get an outlook reminder at work to walk. 

I started by walking the length of the hallway and back five times.  When that felt comfortable I would walk the length of the hallway, down the stairs to the main floor, down the hallway to the elevator and back upstairs.  (There was no way in heck that I was walking up those stairs!).  I built that up until I was doing it 5-8 times.  When I would take the elevator back up, I would hit the main floor button, so that the elevator was waiting for me when I got back around.

After that got comfortable, I decided to go outside and walk around the whole building.  Then I would walk around both of the buildings.  Finally, I started walking with my friends, Azi, Kathy and Michaela and we would walk once and a half around both buildings. (I drove it with my car and it was 0.7 miles).

In the meantime, in April, I had decided I really wanted to pursue the gastric bypass surgery. I went for orientation to a few doctors and chose the one that my Sis-in-law Valerie had used b/c he doesn't believe in making you lose weight.  He figures if you could have you would have.

Here's a link to the website about him (Not the most flattering picture that's for sure, cause he is really a handsome man)  Dr. Waldrep.  

The problem was that when I was in my 20's my appendix had ruptured and abscessed.  I have already lost 1/2 my large intestine and about a foot of my small.  The scar tissue that I must have has Dr. Waldrep requesting that I make the surgery easier and safer by me losing weight.  He wants me to lose 50 lbs......  It felt like such a huge insurmountable goal.  He had me start Medifast to help me lose it quicker.

I have now lost 36 lbs from my heaviest weight.  I lost 10 before pursuing the bypass,  and I've lost 26 since.  I have 24 more to lose.  My next appointment is in mid-July and I'm really dedicated. 

Don't get me wrong, I have my weak moments! 

I am now walking at least 30 minutes a day five days a week and averaging 1.4-1.7 miles a day.  (I am trying to run also and have built up to 1.5 minutes.)  Oh yeah and now I go up the stairs too!

I have started a beginning weight program that will also help with the losing weight as well as the shaping.

My goal... a 5 KM run December 18th.  I figure it gives me a ton of time to prepare, it won't be hot, and its free to run!





No comments: